Many chiropractors and physical therapists use Kinesio Taping as part of their treatment plan to reduce pain and improve flexibility. The tape can help reduce pain and swelling, provide support, and improve your performance. The professionals at True Balance Chiropractic & Physical Therapy use this therapy with great success.
What Is Kinesio Tape?
Kinesio Tape is made of nylon and cotton and is very stretchy. It is designed to mimic the natural elasticity of your skin. The tape is water-resistant and can be worn in the shower or when you work out and will need to be changed by your physical therapist or chiropractor every three to five days.
How Can Kinesio Taping Help?
Kinesio taping can promote healing after a sports injury in a variety of ways, including:
- Creating space between the joints: Studies have shown that Kinesio taping can create space between an injured knee or shoulder joint. The space created is enough to prevent joint irritation.
- Changes in pain pathways: There are sensory receptors in your body tissue that make you feel pain. Kinesio taping can change the pain signals sent by the sensory nerves regarding pain. The tape lifts the tissue, and when it isn't compressed, your brain will receive a different signal, reducing your pain level.
- Improved circulation: Swelling is common after an injury, and the swelling can affect your circulation. Kinesio taping can improve the circulation in the area, allowing you to heal faster.
When Is Kinesio Taping Helpful?
Kinesio taping can help in several ways after an injury. These include:
- Treating injuries: This treatment can be used with other treatment methods to reduce pain and swelling after an injury.
- Supports weak areas: If the injury you sustained has weakened the affected joint or tendon, Kinesio taping can provide support, preventing further injury.
- Retrains your muscles: It is not uncommon to lose muscle function while recovering from an athlete injury, and Kinesio taping can help prevent this. The tape can help retrain the muscle to work more healthily, preventing further issues in the future.
- Prevent injury: Many athletes, such as marathon runners, use Kinesio taping to keep muscles awake and provide stability, improving performance and preventing injury. In addition, the tape can improve your running performance.
- Manage scarring: Surgery leaves a scar, which will stay with you for the rest of your life. However, studies have shown that Kinesio tape can reduce the appearance of the scar when the wound heals.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Chiropractor in Mansfield, TX
If you are looking for a "chiropractor near me" in Mansfield, TX, contact True Balance Chiropractic & Physical Therapy today. Call us at (682) 518-6263 for more information or to schedule an appointment with our chiropractor.